Not Just a Month; A History

Photo via Getty Images

Black History Month is celebrated throughout the U.S.

Selali Obobi, Staff Writer

Celebrating Black History Month at Damascus High School has been a whirlwind of fun. There have been many events that the student body has put together to celebrate this exciting time of the year, as well as to recognize the icons in the past, who have made a day like this possible. However, before we talk about Damascus, we have to understand where it all started. 

In 1926, the President of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH), Carter G. Woodson and the ASALH had just launched a “Negro History Week” to bring attention to their mission and to help school systems coordinate their focus on black history and the accomplishments of African Americans. Woodson chose the second week in February, as it encompassed both Frederick Douglass’ birthday on February 14 and Abraham Lincoln’s birthday on February 12. As we celebrate the amazing contributions that have been made by African Americans throughout history and today, let us remember that Black History is not just for a month but it is an everyday celebration.

Black History Month has since been celebrated as a national holiday each year. As a way to show support in the school systems, schools have developed a way for students to get involved and allow them to show their creativity during this time of celebration. Many schools host a spirit week, which Damascus High School will also be participating in. 

Mon 2/22 – No School

Tues 2/22 – Pan African Colors Day (Wear green, black, red, and yellow to showcase the vibrant colors of Africa!)

Wed 2/23 – 90s Icon Day (Dress like your favorite 90s Icon. From Beyonce down to Aaliyah!)

Thurs 2/24 – Soul Train Day (Dress like your favorite dancer/performer from the hit 70s show!)

Fri – 2/25 – Culture Day (Our very own mini MET Gala. Dress in your cultural attire. Anything that represents you. Whether it’s your race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality and many more!)

To cap off the end of the week, along with Culture Day, the 25th brings along Damascus’ Black History Month Showcase: Back to Black! This is an opportunity for our fellow peers to show off their talents to the rest of the student body. A time for black students to show the different aspects of their culture. Things like Latin Dance, African Dance, Majorettes, poetry, and much more! 

This Black History Month is sure to be one that we will never forget!