The SAT Goes Digital

karen roach / Shutterstock

Samuel Kaganzev & Bryan Bassi, Staff Writers

The SAT, a college admissions exam long associated with paper and pencil, will soon go all-digital. Between the years of 2021-2022, the SAT hasn’t been a requirement to get admitted to many colleges but it’s coming back. The SAT is a multiple-choice assessment that consists of two math sections, a reading section and a writing and language section. There is also a fifth section that is just random. The max score you can get on it is 1600, and it’s a pretty difficult test. Not a lot of students excel on the test but many tend to do well.

The new digital SAT will have shorter reading passages and allow students to use a calculator on the math sections. Testing will still take place at a test center or at a school, but students will be able to choose between using their own devices  including a tablet or a laptop , or the schools’ devices.

The digital SAT will be easier to take, easier to give and it should be faster and easier to return scores to people.

Freshmen will most likely be the first affected by this change because they have the rest of high school left to take it. Juniors and sophomores are out of luck and especially seniors will not get to have this experience.

The test will not be available to take at home so studentswill be required to go to a testing center or to a school to take it.

Ms. Nicole Burkhalter, our College and Career Center Information Coordinator, has held this position for three years. She thinks that solving math problems would be more difficult on computer tests because students would have to keep switching screens, which is time consuming.

“I think it should be on paper because with computerized tests there would be too many faults,” Burkhalter said. “And they are taken on Saturdays, and on Saturdays there would be no one from IT to help in case there is something wrong with the computers.”