30 Reasons Not to Be in A Play

Jenny Schlossberg

Sophomore Jason Sussman (left) and Senior Molly Ario deliver their lines center stage during the Drama Department’s production of “30 Reasons Not to Be in A Play.”

Jenny Schlossberg, Staff Writer

Last Saturday’s performance of “30 Reasons Not to Be in A Play” by the Drama Department was a great comedy. If there were ever a production that felt like a group therapy session, this would be it.

The play consisted of warnings to the audience about the dangers of theater. Each reason ranged from something as simple as one of the characters saying “plays suck” to an entire story of a young boy named Mortimer who gets brainwashed into becoming a dog by his high school theater director. The non-stop laughing from the audience is proof of the show’s success. 

With the large influx of freshmen and sophomores in the theater department this year, there was great incorporation of experienced upperclassmen and underclassmen performances. Everyone’s skills, talent and emotions fit their roles perfectly, transporting the audience into each world of a reason why not to put on a play. 

One major shock was there only being two seniors in the program.

“[The upperclassmen are] an experienced group that allows me to pick more complicated and changeling plays,” social studies teacher and Theater Director Steven Kachadorian said.

Along with the upperclassman experience, the underclassmen showed lots of potential in their performance.

“[The underclassmen] have an enthusiasm for being on stage and a fearlessness to do any of the roles that they are asked to do,” Kachadorian said. With the number of roles and quick changes in the show, the work put into the performance showed. “I chose the play based on experience,” Kachadorian added.

The performance itself was very immersive. Characters broke the fourth wall to bring the audience into the production. Because of the quick change in senses, there was a lack of props. Yet, each performer’s body language and emotion made up for this absence. Lighting and sound played a large role in creating the atmosphere that made the audience feel as if they were right there in the story. Early in the show, a character’s phone is heard ringing overhead, making the audience feel like one of their very own phones was ringing. 

Notably, the microphone quality was outstanding. In years past, there’s been trouble with the mics, but in this performance all the actors’ voices came out clear without the slightest problem. 

The lack of music in the show was definitely missed. The performance felt incomplete without one of the drama club’s extraordinary musical numbers.

Looking forward to the spring musical.