The Student News Site of Damascus High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Damascus Girls Varsity Basketball team, coaches, and manager each holding a piece of the net from the 3A Regional Championship game.
On The Chopping Block
March 8, 2024

Tackling The Titans

Tackling The Titans

Each year, hundreds of parents, students, scouts, and local football lovers in general report to The Hive to watch Hornet football. Despite our reputation for regularly making deep–sometimes compete- playoff runs; the season is short. Assuming you don’t catch the boys’ seven-on-seven season that takes place in the summer, you only experience the Friday night lights for a maximum of three months of the year.
With the misfortune of school beginning once again, we are fortunate enough for another three months of Damascus swarming the field.

Tonight’s season opener against the Albert Einstein Titans will take place on our home turf at 6:30 P.M. The 2022 season opener was a thriller, as we defeated the Northwest Jaguars in a 33-28 thriller despite being predicted by numerous local sports blogs to lose by more than three touchdowns. The event won The DC News Game of the Week, and the originally underdog Damascus fans began the season with some bragging rights. This memorable opener was the beginning of a dominant season that only included one loss against the Quince Orchard Cougars, the eventual winners of the Maryland 4A Championship.
On the topic of divisions, this will be the first year in history that Damascus will not compete as a 3A school, but a 2A school instead due to our current population. So does this mean we’ll terrorize a bunch of small schools on the way to an easy championship?
Not necessarily. Statistically we’ve been a smaller school with a lower population for years, we’ve just miraculously had the athletes and coaching staff to compete at a “higher” level. Despite the change in the schedule this year, Damascus should still dominate the field as they were before, and for that reason you should make it out to The Hive to support our Hornets this evening.