The Student News Site of Damascus High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Damascus Girls Varsity Basketball team, coaches, and manager each holding a piece of the net from the 3A Regional Championship game.
On The Chopping Block
March 8, 2024

Month Of Madness

NCAA
College Football Playoff Selection Committee Announces Final Top 25 Rankings of 2023
College football boasts some of the most heated rivalries in American sports. Rivalries like Ohio State and Michigan, and Alabama and Auburn. These rivalries have been going on for decades, but nothing compares to the Month of the Bowl Games. These games are some of the most anticipated games of the college football season. It’s a chance to play a team of similar skill that you wouldn’t usually play. For example, teams that are in completely different divisions get a chance to play each other like Maryland and Auburn in this year’s Music City Bowl. But for the top four elite teams, it is a chance at glory, bragging rights, and a seat in the College Football Playoff  Semifinals.
 In some areas of the United States college football has a cult-like following. Sometimes even dwarfing the NFL in total attendance and viewership. These games are so influential that many of the games are played in NFL stadiums to hold the sheer amount of people in attendance. It’s said that once you attend a college your school spirit never leaves you. “Once you’re a fan, you stay a fan,” says. The athletic.com Explains.
Not all bowl games are created equal. Some are more prestigious than others. College football has six games that are the most important. Called the “News Years Six”, these games are all Division One Bowl games: The Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl. With the sugar and rose bowl for the 23-24 season.  All of these games are always played near or on New Year’s Day. these six most important of the ten oldest bowl games at the Division One College football level. These games rotate on hosting the college football semifinals. Every three years the rotation is changed with the pairings of Sugar-Rose, Orange-Cotton, and Peach-fiesta. In 2024 the College Football playoffs are expanding to a 12-teams format instead of 4. The Playoff teams for the 23-24 season are number one-ranked Michigan, number two-ranked Washington, number three-ranked Texas, and number four-ranked Alabama. These two games will Decide who will go to the NCAA College Football Championship.