Shooting at Magruder High School

Police respond to the 911 call at Magruder High School on Jan. 21 where a student was shot.

Fox News

Sophia Cooper, Staff Writer

Col. Zadok A. Magruder High School in Derwood, Md. went into lockdown on Jan. 21 after a male student was found in a bathroom with a gunshot wound and transported to an area hospital. As of Friday evening, the victim was stable and out of surgery. Both the victim and the suspect are students at Magruder.

In a Tweet at 3:44 p.m. on Friday, Montgomery County Police confirmed that a suspect was in custody, “Montgomery County Police can confirm a male student was shot on campus at Magruder High School. The school is still currently on lockdown. We can confirm that a suspect is in custody. More information will be released when available.” The lockdown was lifted when police confirmed that there were no threats to the school or community and that this was not an active shooter situation.

The school’s security team became aware of the situation at 12:53 p.m., 911 was called at approximately 12:57 p.m. and a lockdown went into effect at approximately 1:05 p.m. Police methodically searched the building and apprehended the 17-year-old suspect in a classroom shortly after 3 p.m. A handgun used by the suspect was found nearby according to the press release from the Montgomery County Police Department. MCPD later confirmed that the suspect had used a ghost gun. Students were  finally dismissed around 5 p.m. The police are not sure how the gun was brought into the school and as of 6 p.m. Jan. 21 had not spoken to the suspect’s parents.

Police are still investigating the motive for the shooting and continue to interview witnesses. During a press conference the night of Jan. 21, MCPD Chief Jones and MCPS Acting Superintendent Dr. McKnight commended Principal Lee Evans and Magruder staff and students for how the incident was handled. Dr. McKnight also said that she is grateful for the partnership between MCPS and MCPD and for how the crime scene and investigation were handled.

According to information released my MCPD on Jan. 22, the suspect is Steven Alston Jr., an 11th grade student at Magruder. Alston, who is being charged as an adult is facing charges for attempted 2nd degree murder, 1st degree assault, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony/violent crime, possession of a dangerous weapon on school property and possession of a firearm by a minor.

MCPS will be offering counseling support for the students and staff throughout the county not just at Magruder.

Fox News coverage of the press conference given outside of Sequoyah Elementary School on Jan. 21.