The Student News Site of Damascus High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Damascus Girls Varsity Basketball team, coaches, and manager each holding a piece of the net from the 3A Regional Championship game.
On The Chopping Block
March 8, 2024

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter Dead at 96

ABC News

On November 17, it was announced that former first lady Rosalynn Carter was entering hospice care; two days later, she died at her home in Plains, Georgia. Her husband, the longest living former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has been receiving hospice care at their home since Feb. 2023. Carter became the first, first lady to become actively involved in presidential politics. 

Rosalynn Smith grew up in the small town of Plains, Georgia. When she was 13, her father passed away from leukemia forcing her to take up more duties of the family upon herself in order for the family to meet their financial needs which the former first lady described as the end of her childhood. After her graduation from high school, where she graduated top of her class, she attended Georgia Southwestern College and graduated in 1946.

Rosalynn started dating her future husband in 1945 and was married in Plains in 1946. Due to the new marriage, Carter decided to not receive any further education although she would go on to recieve multiple honorary degrees. The couple welcomed four children between 1947 and 1967.

In 1970, Carter became the first lady of Georgia after helping her husband to win the gubernatorial election for Georgia state governor. During this time, Carter dedicated herself to mental health which she has said was her proudest achievement during her time in this role. 

Seven years later, she became the first lady of the United States after her husband took over the presidency in 1977. As first lady, she did what no other first lady in the history of the U.S. had done, she became involved in politics. It was noted that Carter often sat in on her husband’s cabinet meetings so she would always be informed. Carter focused on mental health as the main goal of her tenure as First Lady and even served as honorary chair of the President’s Commission on Mental Health.

In May 2023, it was announced that Carter had been diagnosed with dementia, on Nov. 17, Carter entered hospice care, and two days later, she died at her home at the age of 96. Carter was buried on Nov. 29 during a private ceremony. All living first ladies attended the tribute service along with President Biden, First Lady Jill Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff.