The Student News Site of Damascus High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Damascus Girls Varsity Basketball team, coaches, and manager each holding a piece of the net from the 3A Regional Championship game.
On The Chopping Block
March 8, 2024

Caroling in the Halls of DHS

Sophia Cooper
From left to right: Emily Revier, Parker Wendland, Jason Sussman, Jared Ricasa, and Jackson Dworsak

As students descended the stairs during the second half of lunch of Dec. 13, they heard the melodic voices of trumpets and trombones bringing the holiday spirit and cheerful atmosphere to the halls of Damascus High School.

Jackson Dworsak and Jared Ricasa graced the halls with their talent for trombone while Parker Wendland and Emily Revier, the trumpet players for the group brought the tunes to life with their upbeat melodious music. Jason Sussman also accompanied the group with vocals. Students gathered around the DHS Caroling Brass Band to watch their renditions of the classic holiday tunes, taking videos, clapping along, or even just watching in awe of the group. 

The idea was brought to life when DHS Band director Mr. Charles Doherty approached the group with the idea of caroling at Rio. The band decided that they would bring the festive energy to the halls of Damascus High School. The group approached the school principal, who approved caroling in the high school hallways and they were given the go-ahead. Thus the DHS Caroling Brass Band was born. 

The weeks before winter break brings drowsiness as the students await the holidays. The DHS Caroling Brass Band brings the energy and fun that this school needs to make it to winter break.

The band filled the halls with joyous music, marking a new milestone for the DHS Music Department, the day after the band’s winter concert which featured winter themed music including Sleigh Ride and The Night Before Christmas (based on the poem). This is the first time that a band has played carols in the halls of DHS but it will surely not be the last. The DHS Caroling Brass Band plans to do another round of caroling Thursday during the second half of lunch in the rotunda.Be sure not to miss it!