The Student News Site of Damascus High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Cougar Hunting

Cougar+Hunting
@DHSGirls_Hoops on twitter

Damascus had one of its best basketball seasons in school history last year, with all four (boys’ and girls’ JV & Varsity) teams combining for a 62-16 (.795) record. The boys’ varsity team clawed their way to the state championship, where they’d fall 67-54 to Baltimore City College High School. The girls’ varsity team advanced to the state quarterfinals where they’d lose 44-26 against Oxon Hill. Taking these deep playoff runs, alongside the fact that our varsity teams won their collective 49 games by an average of 15.4 points per game into account, expectations for Damascus basketball are high.

The Buzz had the opportunity to watch and track the stats for the girls’ game on Tuesday night, and it was the perfect debut to catch.

The Hornets’ debut required a 15-mile trek to Quince Orchard; if they traveled another 1,700 miles and ended up in Colorado, the cougar hunting that took place on Tuesday night would have actually been legal. The girls defeated the Cougars 39-27,  and Senior guard Carrie Gottesman scored the Hornets’ first two points of the season off a breakaway layup following a steal. That was her first steal of ten on the night. She ended the game recording the team’s only double-double with 11 rebounds and 10 steals. Gottesman, alongside juniors Juliet Ventura and Megan Antonishek swarmed the Cougars on defense, all recording three or more steals in just the first half. 

The second quarter was undoubtedly the Hornets’ best, as it accounted for 16 of their 39 total points, their biggest contributor being sophomore guard CC Canda. Canda scored eight of her eleven points in the second quarter exclusively. She started the game hot, attempting three threes and draining all of them along with an off-dribble mid-range jumper, all of which taking place in the first half. The first-year guard was a spark plug for a team who at the time was trailing; her scoring explosion combined with the teams’ coordinated and hounding defense allowed them to jump out to a 15-point-lead by halftime. 

Our perimeter play was great, but that’s not to take away from our beasts on the interior. Juniors Madison Slayton and aforementioned Megan Antonishek combined for ten points in the paint, along with three free throws following offensive rebounds. Antonishek grabbed 14 rebounds last night, five of which being offensive. These offensive rebounds were followed by numerous second-chance points and free throw opportunities that advanced the Hornets’ lead even further.

Despite a shaky start to the game, our girls’ basketball team pulled through on attaining their first win of the season whilst on the road.

Tonight, the Hornets take on the Paint Branch Panthers at 7:15, and if you have the time; The Buzz recommends buying your tickets now if you haven’t already to come out and show your support.

Stat Sheet