The Student News Site of Damascus High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Damascus Girls Varsity Basketball team, coaches, and manager each holding a piece of the net from the 3A Regional Championship game.
On The Chopping Block
March 8, 2024

Changing the Game

The 23-24 college football season was one where many records and championship droughts were embedded. The University of Washington returned to a National Championship after a 33-year drought. The University of Michigan came out on top ending their 26-year title drought. Not only for the programs, but it was a revenge tour for coaches and players. After head coach Jim Harbaugh’s controversy with a sign-stealing scandal causing him to get a three-game suspension, Michigan fans would start a new movement of “Michigan vs The World.” This was a much-needed win for Michigan after their heartbreaking loss to TSU in last year’s Fiesta Bowl, knocking them out of the playoffs and ending their chances at a title. This year with morale at an all-time high from an undefeated season and knocking out SEC powerhouse Alabama University in overtime. Washington was also coming off of a nail-biter win against The University of Texas in the Sugar Bowl.
The Stage was set for two teams who have not captured a title this century to end the drought finally. With Houston Texans NRG stadium as the neutral site hosting the National Championship, Both teams arrived determined to finish their perfect seasons.72,808 fans packed the stadium waiting for the game to get underway.

Michigan started the game strong with Washington struggling to put up points against the number one rated defense in the country. With the second half ending, the Michigan Wolverines were able to keep the Washington Huskies down and ended the game with a late-game interception. History has been changed forever. The landscape of college football is forever changed with the blow of the final whistle.

With the announcement of the playoff format changing, the transfer portal death of the PAC 12, and Nick Saben’s retirement. Nobody knows how college football will play out in the future.